Monday, February 1, 2010

Deja Vu

Everything here happens twice. We lose electricity for 5 hours each day... twice (morning and evening.) It was only today that I fully considered the consequences of this - what about major manufacturers? Businesses? Water treatment and hydropower plants? Like so many questions here, I don’t yet have the answers... I have now visited the Monkey Temple, Kathmandu Darbur Square and Thamel (think Disney World except instead of crazy animals walking around, you get LOTS of white tourists) all twice. We have a two language class each day - twice. Just to make sure you got that, that’s four hours of continuous Nepali language every day. I would like your pity right... now.

My days are much less exciting than the time I spent with Mom. Our schedules are tight though we’ve been promised relief soon (we get to go to Nargarkot and Bhatkapur - another “twice” for me.) All this replay can and was incredibly discouraging, but the culture shock and bipolar ups and downs are slowly mellowing out. I still don’t know what to think about four meals a day - Melanie and I finally rebelled and took a quick walk around the block which made me suddenly realize how sedentary we have truly been. I had come to this country hoping to jog up and down mountains like the blue people in Avatar (minus bioluminescent mushrooms though there are drug pushers here for that kind of thing.) Instead, I found food, nausea, class, food, sleep, COLD, food - you get the idea. Did I pushed myself a little too far this time? Should I have gone to New Zealand where they have balmy breezes, beautiful scenery and men with sexy accents?

I have no event to point to, no revelation or major epiphany (though Azithromyacin and pasta night with chocolate ice cream might be it.) But for some reason, it’s all going down a little bit smoother today. As my expectations become a little more realistic and a little less cinematic, I’ve started to feel more in control. (And anyone who knows a Perls knows that control makes us happy.) My body isn’t freaking out anymore, I’ve picked a specific Nepali newspaper I like and the load setting electricity outages are more predictable. Mealtimes still sometimes feel like an impending execution, but I have yet to find a full-length mirror in Nepal and my pants still fit. Best of all, I found I’m not the only one. With Mel by my side, a roommate I’ve finally bonded with and a fellow chocoholic just next door, I think this might just be a good idea after all.

Plus, the word for milk is “duhd” (pronounced “dude”). Pretty sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment