Friday, March 12, 2010

Hum dee Dum

In an attempt to preclude any parental complaints, this is officially the pre-trekking time filler.

Melanie and Jon have officially become Nepalese (aka they're sick), skipping two meals each and our planned evening outing to attend salsa night at a bar in Kathmandu. We will have to save that incredible oximoron for another evening and just enjoy the many possible and amusing scenarios that could have been.

In other news, I am no longer bed bound though of course it's not that simple. The incredible pharmacy my father equipped me with has turned into more of a shopping list than a safety net. Moving on from the stomach, having exhausted all possible options, we now move on to the right eye which has taken on an interesting reddish hue and itches like the chicken pox. Though I never did quite learn to put on eye liner, I am getting VERY good with this gelly clear goo that has a similar application and clouds your vision for a bit. I'm hoping later for a showdown between Erthromycin Ophthalmic ointment and beer goggles.
Note: Parentals - I am FINE (thanks to your incredible ability to predict my medical future.)

Just as my Columbian peers head off to Spring Break, we are entering our own version of midterm week. One paper, one quiz, one research proposal, several homeworks and a lot of Gilmore Girls episodes officially complete (don't ask.) Now I just have that 15 page paper to finish (or start, depending on your perspective) plus finalizing my research plans (think literature review without internet or motivation) and IRB stuff. Plus sick people. Plus confined quarters. Thankfully my roomie went into Kathmandu tonight to visit her new husband (she got married by the way... did I mention that?) which means I can hold my own private rock concert/dance party. Truly the workload gives me zero rights to complain as compared to my normal semester of sedentary studying (I enjoy alliteration... deal with it) but it's still weird to go from a homestay where I climb mountains and milk goats to sitting, staring, sleeping, eating and generally not moving. I could jog, but let's not get carried away. And I still can't seem to get past those looks of "wait a tic! that's a white girl! she's running... and nothing is chasing her. what a strange girl. maybe if we look a bit longer... yes over the shoulder is good... we'll know why."

So yes... trekking. Lots and lots of trekking. We leave January 20th and arrive in Chitwan National Park. There are elephants involved including riding them, bathing with them (they're trained to throw you in the river) and visiting the breeding center. Jungle walks with rhinos and something called a stick dance. Kayaking or swimming or canoeing... there's a lake involved. A CLEAN one! That's a large body of water that isn't filled with sewage, smells of sewage or potentially sources the local butcher! Through the 28th we climb mountains (ahem... the Himalayas to be precise) for 6-7 hours a day with rice and lentils, rice and lentils and chiyaa. If you care for the short version, I will be in heaven. I never was sure if heaven really existed, but now I'm sure. And we haven't even left yet. OH MY GOD I'M SO EXCITED.

Anyway back to my desk and my sleeping bag and that slow feeling of leg muscles disintegrating. Also to address a past complaint, an anonymous reader questioned the meaning of baller. Oops - my choice collection of slang words ranges from middle school where I was just bored and college where we're just strange. A baller is... someone really really awesome? Somehow it's sourced from the NBA and that strange swishing motion people make to look cool, but I just like the word because it starts with a strong consonant and Nick gets embarrassed when I say it in public. Love you brother dearest.

Keep the emails coming (again parents, I'm fine. The eye is fine and getting better.) and I will try and finagle pictures post-trekking, I PROMISE. Until then, enjoy all the Spring Breaking (no limbs please!) and try not to be too incredibly jealous of me (though a little green I hear is good for the complexion.)

Cheerio,
HP

No comments:

Post a Comment